Tuesday, January 19, 2010

10 Things to Do for Free



     Money's tight in my corner, especially since I'm trying to pay off my credit card bill.
     But I'd still like to have some kind of fun, just at a cheaper price or even at no cost at all.
     I recently came up with a list of ten things (mainly around the house) that you can do for free.
     Some of them are obvious. Others might seem weird or different.
     Either way, these ideas-which are in no particular order-are timely because some people are more than likely to stay inside their homes as a result of the cold temps:

- Read: There are some books on my bookshelf that I have yet to read. This winter, I'll be curled up with my blanket, a cup of tea and a book more often.

-Write: I write so much at work that when I get home, I just want to chill. But this year, I'm looking forward to write more personal essays and maybe even a novel.

-Arts 'n Crafts: I've been doing this since I was a little girl in summer camp and Girl Scouts. There are actually several craft projects that I would like to do. I'll blog about them when I get a chance to do them.

-Listen to music: I have tons and Tons and TONS of records in my collection. There are still some albums that I haven't even listened to yet. And then there are artists who's music I really want to digest and study. Nothing beats chilling in bed and listening to music on a cold, lazy day,

-Fill a photo album/Make a scrap-book: OK, these two can kind of go under No. 3 but they can be fun on their own. I used to be addicted to scrap booking in college and am behind now because I don't have the extra time to do it. Also, I have envelopes of pictures that need to either go in a scrapbook or in a photo album. I'm sure you have some lying around too.

-Pray: This is more than something to do for me. It's a huge part of my life. I'm not a crazy religious person or anything but I just strongly believe in the power of prayer because it's helped me throughout my life. And prayer is definitely needed during these times.

-Meditate: Here's another different one but I thought I should add it to the list. Meditation is hard to do. It takes time, concentration and relaxation but can be mastered with practice.

-Stretch: Stretching is good for your entire body because it loosens you up and gets rid of tension. You can do it anywhere and it doesn't cost you anything but your effort and energy.

-Call a friend: Times are busy and sometimes we look up and it's been ages since we've talked to a friend. Call them. (E-mail and Facebook messages don't count.) There's nothing like hearing a long-time friend's voice on the phone.

-Volunteer: I believe in volunteering but aside from mentoring, haven't done much volunteering since I've lived in Md. I'm looking at participating in local volunteering opportunities this year. Sometimes giving yourself and your time is more valuable than giving your money. Click here for more information.

Photo courtesy of seopositions.net.

No comments:

Post a Comment