Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Holiday Songs I Like


I'm not one to have holiday music playing every single minute of the day during holiday times, but there are a few songs that I grew up with that I like to hear:

-Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas is You" was done back when Mariah looked like the "Preacher's Wife," lol. But I've always liked the cheerfulness and the message in the song. This is also one of the few Christmas albums that I will jam too.

-Donny Hathaway's "This Christmas" is a classic that gets me in the holiday spirit. Hathaway's soaring vocals makes this song a timeless holiday treasure. If you don't get up and dance to this at your holiday party, you're not human:)

-The Temptations' "Silent Night" brings tears to my eyes because it reminds me of family. I remember listening to this song as my mother would prepare "Santa's" milk and cookies. Every element of this tune works for me. I love the falsetto, the baritone, and the musicianship; all of it makes this song a timeless musical gem.

-James Brown's "Santa Claus Go Straight to the Ghetto" is another Christmas song I was raised on. I didn't grow up with much but this song always reminded me that Santa was an inclusive gift giver. RIP James Brown.

-Boyz II Men's "Let It Snow" is another song I grew up jamming to during the holiday season. I used to love me some B2M back in the day and this song was no exception. It's smooth and feels good like a cup of hot chocolate on a cold day.

Do you listen to holiday music? If so, what are some of your fave holiday songs?

Photo courtesy of Google.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment