Monday, August 24, 2009

Music Moment: The Undisputed Truth


I used to love hearing the song "Smiling Faces" when I was a little girl. There was something so funky, raw and real about it.
I liked the message.
But I never knew anything about the group behind the hit-until now.
I own two of the Undisputed Truth's albums on vinyl, "Cosmic Truth" and "Higher Than High."
I'm currently looking for their four other albums.
The Undisputed Truth was a 1970s Motown group who mainly worked with producer Norman Whitfield.
Their music and style was comprised of psychedelic soul.
They performed in flashy make-up, shiny outfits and white Afros.
Chaka Khan's sister Taka Boom, was a member of the group at one point.
Though they never saw much mainstream success, "Smiling Faces" was their biggest hit.
Of the two albums I own, my fave so far is "Cosmic Truth."
Songs like, "UFO's" and "1990" are very thought provoking.
"Down By the River" is my fave tune on the album. It's an avant garde melody of forward-thinking dopeness.
Sounds like something that Erykah Badu would attempt to do.
I also really like the soulful grooves of (I Know) I'm Losing You."
For more information on the group, visit their Web site at www.the-undisputed-truth.com.


Photo courtesy or www.the-undisputed-truth.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment