Monday, September 7, 2009

Music Moment: Betty Davis


Betty Davis.
I don't even know what to write next.
All I know is I think this woman is one of the most underrated singer/songwriters in music history.
Wanna know why I feel that way?
Because of her musical courage.
Davis released three funk albums during the '70s.
They were "Betty Davis," "They Say I'm Different," and "Nasty Gal."
Most of her material was about sex.
Yes. S-E-X.
And she made it sound soooooo good. Was so unapologetic about it too.
I love that fierceness.
But that's why Davis wasn't really accepted by the mainstream.
She took musical risks that no one else did. And she was waaaay ahead of her time.
She still had a small following though.
I've been blessed to discover Davis' music through the Internet and word-of-mouth.
I own all three hard-to-find vinyl recordings of the former model.
My fave is "They Say I'm Different," which was released in 1974.
Her voice isn't polished on any of the tracks. Didn't need to be.
It worked well with the hard guitar riffs and soft bass lines of "Your Mama Wants Ya Back" and "He Was a Big Freak," which is supposed to be about her former husband, Miles Davis.
My fave songs are the groovy "Shoo-B-Doop and Cop Him," and the title "track."
Overall, Davis' sound is one that is classic, edgy and sexy.
All befitting of a woman who wasn't afraid to be herself.

Photo courtesy of www.amazon.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment