Monday, August 11, 2014

How the Children Play (World Wise Post)

This blog post is part of a series of activities that I'm doing for the Peace Corps' World Wise program. The program links Basotho and American schools through various activities such as blogs like this one and friendly letters.

   Hi boys and girls! How are you? 
   Today’s post is about playing! In Sesotho, the language spoken here, the word for play is bapala. Say it with me…bah-pah-lah.
   I’ve written about how the children here play before but I think it’s a topic I want to revisit.
   Read on:

The children in my village fashioned this fallen aloe tree into a see saw:
How creative is this!

They also etch games in dirt:
They use pebbles or old tins as markers when they play these kinds of games.

Children here also like to play with old tires:
Here's my host brother rolling an old tire he found nearby.

They also have "play" animals:
This is a "horse" that my host brother made out of this fence! (It's actually a fence on my host mother's property.)

   Basotho children play all of the time! They have just as much fun as you do in America!
   Here is another blog post I did about how children play Lesotho. Check it out here.
   What do you play with in America? What are some of your favorite games?

Is there anything more specific you'd like to know? Please let me know. I'd be happy to answer your questions.

2 comments:

  1. Very clever!!! Reminds me of how I used to play as a kid before the video game madness.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Janice! Yes, these kids are clever. They make do with the "toys" they have around them, despite not even having electricity. I will miss their smarts.

      Delete