Saturday, July 5, 2014

Things I've learned in Lesotho (Part 1)


There are always lines at the bank and other places in Lesotho. It used to bother me. Not anymore. I bring my book, a bottle of water and a snack. And wait. All I can do. Patience is a virtue.

  Whomever said life is a classroom sure didn't lie.
  Being in Lesotho has taught me lots of things, such as learning to seek meaning and not approval.
  Here are some more things I've learned here:

-Do the best I can do: I've said this before and I'll say it again: I'm no Princess Diana or Mother Theresa. I'm not going to make a huge social impact change here and I'm OK with that. I'm not trying to. I do the best I can with what I have. I work very hard in my community and at school, and help my students learn English and Life Skills as best as I can. All I can do. And I'm happy with this.

-To really savor nature: OK, I sound like a hippy here but I've really grown to be thankful for the wonders of nature here. I take daily walks, and savor the gift of sunset, as Africa is known for her splendorous skyline.

-To have patience: A Peace Corps employee once told me that after I begin my service, I'll have to "Hurry up and wait." Perfect phrase to describe my experience here. Things never start on time, and that's a hard thing to deal with when you come from a culture where time is money. I don't fret anymore. I just bring a book, a snack and my patience.

-To be in the moment: Being in the present has always been difficult for me, because I've always felt the need to control things. That's something I've worked on (A LOT! ) here. Prayer and meditation have also helped me to focus on the "now" and I do more of these things every single day. 

-What you love will follow you wherever you go: My love for nail polish and cupcakes is legendary so it's no surprise that I've managed to maintain my manicures and eat my sweet treats here in Lesotho. I think that if you're truly passionate about something, it will find a way to show up in your life--and stay.

Anything you can agree or disagree with? Anything you can relate to? What else have you learned in your life?

No comments:

Post a Comment