Saturday, February 15, 2014

Wacky, Weird, Wild Weather

   The best way to describe the weather here is bipolar.
   One minute, it's raining.
   The other, it's hailing.
   Typically, Lesotho has the four distinct seasons: spring, summer, fall and winter.
   Spring, which lasts from September through November, is nice.
   Summer is (HELL!!!) hot, and lasts from December through February.
   Fall (March through May) is cool and winter is frigid. Winter runs from June through August, when it's hot in America! It gets very dusty and windy during the time.
   We usually go to spells of drought, too. My district, Mafeteng has some of the worst drought in the country.
   But when it rains, your cup will overflow with water. The rainy season starts around October/November and lasts for a few months.
   The air here also gets very dry, which wrecks havoc on my skin and nails. I have to use thick body creams, mixed with glycerin and petroleum jelly to properly moisturize my body.
   The weather really affects life here. I can't charge my solar when it rains. If we're in the midst of a severe drought, my host mother's borehole won't have any water in it.
   I don't sweep my house during the windy season, which lasts from around August until September.
   And food spoils fast during the summertime and lasts longer during the cold months.

Here are some visuals of Mother Nature at work here:

Rain or shine...

Not sure what's going on here. When I was a little girl and it was raining and the sun was out at the same time, my mother used to say, "The devil's beating his wife." So that's what's going on here in this picture. OK? LOL.


Rain, rain, go away...

The Basotho don't mind the rain, as this is an agricultural society, and rain is saluted in the national anthem. But when it heavily rains like this, many parents either won't send their children to school, or my school will send students home early because the kids have to climb mountains and hills to get to their villages. Notice the hail towards the bottom of the photo.

It also gets very dusty:

Toto, are we in Kansas or Africa? This dust is one of the reasons why I cut my locs off!

   My favorite season is summer because I'm built and made for the tropics, lol.
   I'm dam near dead in the wintertime, though. It's just too darn cold to do anything. And the cold wouldn't be so bad, but there's no central heating here like there is in America.
   I have to wear my big coat when I teach and I dress in like three layers.
   Oh well. So goes the weather in Lesotho.

No comments:

Post a Comment