Friday, May 28, 2010

Recent music purchases

I've spent a lot of time and money in the music store lately. It just seems like lots of good music from artists I like have been coming out. The following new albums are currently on rotation in my playlist:

There's "The ArchAndroid" by Janelle Monae:



Monae is one pint-sized powerhouse of a talent. She's got the voice, looks and ability to be a superstar. With "The ArchAndroid," Monae effortlessly blends rock, pop, soul and R&B into her own refreshing and interesting sound.

I'm also feeling Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings' latest effort, "I Learned the Hard Way."



With this release, Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings continue to bring their signature old school sound. (Amy Winehouse used the band on her hit album "Back to Black.") Stand-out tunes from "...Learned..." include "Money" and "Mama Don't Like My Man."


And last is Leela James' new album "My Soul."



James is a criminally underrated singer that makes sweet and soulful grown folks music. Her new CD flows in the same fashion that her previous releases have. Her voice is raspy but strong. She collaborates with Raheem DeVaughn on the beautiful "Unforgettable." And "Let it Roll" is about to be my life jam!

No comments:

Post a Comment